How to file a DBA in Hawaii
By Bazal Razzaq
Updated: November 09, 2023
Editorial Note: We earn a commission if you use the services recommended on this page. Commissions do not affect our opinions or recommendations.
- What is an LLC?
- How to change your LLC name in 2023?
- How to set up an LLC as a Non-US resident
- What Is A Foreign LLC?
- Mastering the Art of Maintenance: Things To Do After Setting Up An LLC
- Exploring the Basics: What is a Single Member LLC?
- The Power of Partnership: Unleashing The Potential of A Multi Member LLC
- C Corp vs LLC – Which Business Structure is Right for You?
- A Guide to Business License: Everything you need to know
- Unlocking the Benefits of an LLC (Limited Liability Company)
- Which is the best state to form an LLC in?
- Operating Agreement 101: A Key To A Successful LLC
- One LLC, Multiple Streams of Income: can you have multiple businesses under one LLC?
- Articles of Organization Made Easy: Everything You Need to Know
- What Is A LLC Annual Report: A Comprehensive Guide for Business Owners
- Exploring Eligibility: Who Can Be LLC Members?
- What Is A Domestic Limited Liability Company?
- What is An EIN, and Do You Need One?
- What is a Series LLC?
- Member Managed vs Manager Managed LLC – Which Structure Fits Your Business?
- How to start your dog walking business
- Entrepreneurship Has No Age Limits: Can Minors Form an LLC?
- How to Open A Flower Shop
- Will Social Security Number Work As An EIN For An LLC
- How to Start a Nail Salon Business: The Only Guide You Need
- How to Start a House Flipping Business
- How to start a Laundry and Dry Cleaning Business
- Annual Fee for every state in US (Part-1)
- Annual Fee for every state in US (Part-2)
- Annual Fee for every state in US (Part-3)
- How to Start a Home Rental Business
- How to start a Pharmacy Business
- What are the Benefits of 1099 Contractor in an LLC
- How to file LLC Taxes
- How To Dissolve An LLC In 6 Steps
- How to Open a Tanning Salon
- What is a DBA
- How to File a DBA
- How to get an Alabama DBA
- How to file an Alaska DBA
- 10 Steps to Start a Catering Business
- How to file an Arizona DBA
- How to file an Arkansas DBA
- How to file a California DBA
- How to file a Colorado DBA
- How to file a Delaware DBA
- How to file a DBA in Florida
- How to file a DBA in Georgia
- How to file a DBA in Idaho
- Best State to Form LLC for Online Business
When you register a DBA Hawaii, you are establishing a branding for your business. It would not be incorrect to say that registration of a Hawaii DBA is the best and most important way to grow your business or you can use a trusted ‘Doing Business As’ service.
Trade Name Registration in Hawaii
Registering a trade name in Hawaii is called a DBA in Hawaii.
#1 Start with a DBA Hawaii Name Search
When you are registering your Hawaii DBA or Hawaii trade name, you are declaring to other business owners that the name is in use now. Despite this fact, the trade name is not protected from others.
Moving forward, you must check if your trade name is unique and meets Hawaii’s business name requirements. You can visit the Hawaii Business Express website and search for the DBA name to ensure it is in use or not. You can also search in local phone directories and check the Department of Taxation if the trade name is in use or not.
While naming the DBA Hawaii, the following points shouldn’t be included-
- Words or phrases that relate your business with a government agency like Treasury, State Department, FBI, etc.
- Words or terms without consent from the State Commissioner of Financial Institutions: bank, banker, banking, banc, financial services loan company, credit union, trust company, financial institution, intra pacific bank, international banking corporation, and trust.
- Terms without state approval or certification- certified public accountant, CPA, PA, cooperative, public accountant, escrow, and escrow depository.
We suggest you check if your name is available as a web domain (URL). You may not plan to start a business today but can secure the URL to prevent others from using it. You can use a free business name generator to generate a trade name or create a logo using a free logo generator.
#2 Register Your DBA Hawaii
The Hawaii trade name can be filed online or by mailing the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. To file online, log in to the Hawaii Business Express website, or mail a hard copy of the Application for Registration of Trade Name.
Important sections in the form
- Section 3: It tells us the status of the applicant (Corporation, Partnership, Sole Proprietor, LLC, LLP).
- Section 7: Nature of the business.
Cost of Filing:
$50 Filing Fee
Check Hawaii’s list of Business Action Centers for in-person filing.
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Business Registration Division
P.O. Box 40
Honolulu, Hawaii 96810.
Fax: (808) 586-2733.
#3 Manage Hawaii Trade Name
Contact the Business Registration Division: (808) 586-2727.
Renewal of Trade name with the state:
The DBA Hawaii must be renewed every 5 years. It can be renewed online, 6 months before the expiration date.
Change Your Trade Name:
The trade name can be changed by withdrawing the initial trade name and refiling the application.
Withdraw Your Trade Name:
You can withdraw your trade name online.
#4 After Filing the Hawaii DBA
Although filing a ‘Doing Business As’ name marks the beginning of your business journey, you should also consider paying attention to the following steps-
- Create the Business Website:
Every business must have its own website to promote the business. You can use drag-and-drop builders like GoDaddy and Wix to make the job easy for you.
- Make business finances in order:
You must separate your business and personal finances. You can start by opening a business bank account and getting a business credit card if there are irregularities in the cash flow.
- Protect the business:
Just as a Limited Liability Company helps to protect your personal assets during a lawsuit, the business assets also need protection. You must have the right business insurance like “General Liability Insurance” to cover if anything worse happens.
Featured Best LLC Services
On Northwest Registered Agent’ Website
On IncFile’ Website
On Business Rocket’ Website
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can have multiple DBAs as long as you can create and manage. Every ‘Doing Business As’ includes an additional filing cost and paperwork.
DBAs necessarily don’t need to have a separate EIN as it is not a business entity. The business entity under which the DBA is would have an EIN if it was necessary.
A DBA cannot become a Limited Liability company as it is a trade name used for a business. Sometimes, Sole proprietorships are confused with DBAs but they are not the same.